Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Instant gratification ..... Of the sewing kind!

Late last night, I decided to buy my first 'digital' Oliver+S pattern. I have downloaded patterns before e.g. from Burda and Stitch Magazine, and the matching and taping together of up to 30 sheets of A4 paper is time-consuming and annoying to put it mildly. Also, the layout of downloadable patterns is not consumer-friendly at all. For example: the first picture is of pattern pieces for dolls dresses, some of which could easily fit on one A4 sheet, instead of being spread out over 4 - 6 sheets.

As there was a sale for Oliver+S digital patterns, and I only wanted to make one part of the pattern, I decided to go for it. I bought the Swingset Tunic and Skirt.

I was completely, pleasantly, and wonderfully surprised! The download was quick. I opened the file to find that the pattern pieces are placed so that they take up the least amount of A4 sheets possible. Because I only wanted to make the tunic, I had to print out 7 (just SEVEN!) pages. Each bodice and bodice lining piece was on a page of it's own, so a LOT less sticking together of pages is necessary.

After that it was a case of the planets aligning! An order of ribbons from JaneMeans arrived in the post this morning. And that was it, once I decided on the Liberty fabric, and to use the orange ribbon for straps, I just had to sew the pattern up.


I lengthened the tunic to dress length, and added a slight a-line shape to the pattern piece for the lower part of the dress.
Using the ribbon for straps, saved some time and turned out very well. I also added velvet ribbon at the curved seam of the bodice, because it was just lost in the fabric and is too beautiful a detail for that.

The Liberty fabric is a Tana Lawn, so is very lightweight. The orange ribbon at the hem provides some structure to the dress. These ribbons were bought from an English company JaneMeans that I only heard of recently. Though their business is gift-wrapping, they are a great source for ric-rac and velvet ribbons, which can be hard to find.

 

Because I made this dress so quickly there was no time for 'consultation' with my daughter on fabric and colour choices which is what we usually do, but I knew she couldn't resist 'Minnie' for the lining!

There are still a few bits to finish - the inside lining, ironing and adding buttons, but she didn't want to take it off this evening and told me she loves the colours.

I even forgot to tell her that the fabric was designed by Lauren Child of Charlie & Lola fame!!

 

Pin It Now!  

12 comments:

  1. It's beautiful!! I love the idea of using ribbons for the straps...I'll have to "borrow" it.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy, using the ribbon made this step a little easier, borrow away!

      Delete
  2. The ribbon straps and trim look great! It's a good idea that I might just steal:-) I can't imagine any little girl objecting to Minni Mouse lining. My five year old would definitely approve.
    Thanks for the review of Oliver+s downloads. It's good to know that they are intelligently laid out. It may just make the difference for me if I see something I am desperate for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't help myself with ribbons :-) if anything I overuse them! I'm glad you found my experience of the O+S downloads helpful, I was very impressed, and it is a cheaper option. I hope I haven't encouraged your 'desperation' ;-)

      Delete
  3. Very pretty dress. I hope it makes your daughter happy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jane, Thank you, she loves it, and I'm lucky that she's still in the phase where she will wear what I sew for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty it is Angela! I can't blame her for wanting to wear it all evening!
    I have just ordered some liberty scrap bags for a project...I'll watch out for this one..I know the trees by Lauren Child is in one pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millie. I can't wait to see what you make from the Liberty scrap bags :-) I hope you find some of this print, there's also a blue colourway of it too.

      Delete
  6. such a cute fabric, such a cute pattern... great little dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michal, thank you :-) I love how cute it is too.

      Delete
  7. AWESOME.......!!! VERY CUTE & SIMPLE DRESS.
    WWW.BLISSFULSEWING.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) I love how it turned out too.

      Delete