Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Belcarra Blouse - So good I sewed it twice!

The newest pattern from Sewaholic Patterns is the Belcarra Blouse, and I had the opportunity to test the pattern before it was released.

The style is a looser silhouette than I usually wear, but what surprised me most about the pattern was how the 2d curved pattern shapes transformed to 3d without needing darts or other fitting techniques. Though it is a loose-fitting style, it works by also being shapely...or making the wearer look shapely!

The size I cut was 12 and this is what usually fits me best in Sewaholic patterns. Sometimes I have to shorten above the waist, but I didn't do that for the Belcarra, as my measurements of the pattern pieces in comparison to my body measurements indicated I didn't need to.
 
 
 

The biggest difficulty I had with this blouse was fabric selection I just couldn't decide what to use. I originally planned on a medium weight black and white cotton gingham but thought that the loose style of the blouse wouldn't be as flattering in a heavier fabric. So I picked Liberty of London cotton voile 'Toria' that I'm delighted with.

 

 

http://sewaholic.net/also-introducing-the-belcarra-blouse/

 



Tasia's advice on choosing fabric for this blouse is spot on - pick something special, because the lack of front and back seams and darts mean that the fabric gets the limelight!! Her Liberty of London version illustrates her advice perfectly.

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
I chose to sew View B mostly because of the tucks in the raglan sleeves. They are such a neat detail on this lovely simple design. As the print on the fabric is so busy, the tuck detail seemed to get lost, so I added some matching janemeans ribbon to the shoulder seam to help draw attention to the tucks.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Using the same stitched ribbon as I used to cover the shoulder seams, I repeated the ribbon detail at the hem. I liked the unhemmed length of the blouse, so adding ribbon meant that I could keep most of the blouse length.
 

As the voile fabric is so light weight, I wanted to ensure it would hang well. Another reason for sewing a ribbon hem is that it adds a little extra weight to a fabric like voile.

 
 
 
The second Belcarra blouse was a very quick make-not even a couple of hours! The fabric is also a cotton voile from AnnaMarie Horner. This version came about as a result of #misemademairt / #misemademáirt (general Irish to English translation = Me Made Tuesday). Three of us - also Maeve & MsMcCall - from Ireland have been wearing something we made ourselves for Tuesdays in Feb and March and posting on Instagram. This was my attempt to wear something me-made and green(ish) for St. Patricks Day.

For this version, I slightly adjusted the neckline. The neckline in the pattern pictures seemed wider than I prefer, so I made a simple adjustment by adding an extra seam allowance width to the top of the sleeve pieces and back and front pieces. I also measured the resulting neck opening and compared it to my head measurment to be sure it would fit! The length of the neck binding also needs to be reduced to fit the new neck opening measurment.



 

 

Even though the blouse is a simple style, there are some neat techniques in the pattern. The bias binding is sewn doubled over and this gives a nice flat finish. The sleeve cuffs are also well designed. I didn't compare my arm measurements with the cuff length, before cutting and sewing. The sleeve cuff fits, but I would usually wear it a little looser.

The blouse makes for a very easy-to-wear top and I love the raglan sleeves. Now that I know that the style fits in a flattering way, I would like to try it in gingham, with a bias pocket and tucks on the sleeves forming a neat design with the lines of the gingham fabric.

 

 

Pin It Now!  

13 comments:

  1. Hi Angela! I love this top on you, it's simple but looks so delicate and smart. Can't wait to see your planned gingham belcarra. I think I've fallen off the misemademairt wagon. I keep forgetting about it. I plan to do memademay for the first time this year. Haven't thought it through yet. Are you going to do it? A few more belcarra tops and you'd be sorted ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maeve :-) Likewise here for #misemademairt! I'm now painfully aware of the holes in my wardrobe ;-) 'm looking forward to seeing your memademay as I def won't be joining. Ha! a month of Belcarras, that would be funny!

      Delete
  2. Two lovely tops! I really like the style of this blouse - the sleeves and loose fit are great. I have a bunch of other patterns to work through before buying any more though! I don't know how I've missed #misemadeMairt, it's a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is such a lovely style, and easy to sew with no fitting issues for me - really a winner! We were a bit low-key about #misemademáirt, and it was mostly on IG. It's very interesting to try to wear 'memades'

      Delete
  3. Found your post while searching for finished versions of the Belcarra blouse. I love the idea of adding ribbon to the hem and both your versions are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeri, Thanks for your lovely comment, I was really happy with how the ribbon worked out too :-)

      Delete
  4. wow, I really like this top! both the pattern and your version of it! I don't think I ever sew a pattern for woven fabric that looks so well fitting without darts! I think I may have to get it to.. I have many nice wovens just waiting got a good pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal :-) I was surprised at the fit of it too! And it is a quick sew as well as a great way to use a special piece of fabric.

      Delete
  5. Blogger ate my comment! :( Great tops - I love the ribbon hem detail, it's funny how what could be a problem turns in to a great finish!

    I've fallen off the Mise-made wagon too, I'm contemplating MMM, but I think it might get boring since I've posted a lot of the things I wear all the time already. I'm looking forward to seeing your posts though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh Blogger does that to me, even here on my own blog!! I really like the tops too :-) but unless I sew 20 more of them I don't think I'll be doing MMM14 ;-)
      Maybe we could do #misemademáirt again next year!?

      Delete
  6. Both tops look great! Great tip regarding using ribbon for the hem on lighter weight fabrics. I'll have to check that pattern out.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy :-) and glad you like the tip about the ribbon. I'm looking forward to seeing more versions of the Belcarra too!

      Delete
  7. These look great! Well done. I just finished a Belcarra Blouse (http://madebykaty.wordpress.com/2014/05/25/the-belcarra-blouse/) but seeing these cute prints makes me impatient to make more! And I'm with you on the tucked sleeves - such a nice little detail on an otherwise simple blouse.

    ReplyDelete